Looking for Full-time and Part-time Employment

Japanese law prohibits discrimination based on nationality and creed in the rates of wages, working hours, and other employment conditions. Non-Japanese workers are legally entitled the same rights as Japanese workers. It is important to know and understand the laws and systems related to employment.

Eligibility for working in Japan

You must have a Status of Residence (zairyuu shikaku) that allows you to work, and also the job must be within the qualifications permitted by your resident status.

Looking for a job in Japan

You can find a job at the Public Employment Security Office (Hello Work) managed by the national government (free of charge). You can also try some private employment agencies certified by the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare, and other organizations. (Some are free, others take a commission)

Public Employment Security Office (Hello Work)

The Public Employment Security Office (Hello Work) is managed by the national government and provides services, such as giving consultation on employment and providing introductions to companies for free. All Hello Work offices are connected on a computer network where one can obtain information on available of jobs across Japan. If you can speak Japanese, you can visit any Hello Work office close to where you live. For those who cannot understand Japanese, some offices have interpretation service at “Employment Service for Foreign Workers.”For international students and international residents with professional skills, “Employment Service Center for Foreigners” and counter for international students at “New Graduates Support Hello Work” provide them job information and offer introductions.

How to receive Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted (Shikaku gai-Katsudo-kyoka)

If you want to take a job (including a part time job) other than those permitted by your current resident status, you must get permission called “Shikakugai Katsudo-kyoka” from Immigration Bureau. For further information, please contact:

Osaka Immigration Bureau, Kyoto Office TEL:075-752-5997


Japan’s Labor Standard Law

The Labor Standards Law exists to protect workers’ including those of international residents in Japan. If you have problems such as unpaid wages, suddenly dismissed without cause, or been injured while working, please consult the following offices.

Consultations Contacts

① Consultation Counter for Foreign Workers, Kyoto Labor Bureau

Address2F Kyoto Labor Bureau, 451 Kinbuki-cho, Ryogaecho- dori Oike agaru, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto
Consultation hoursTue, Wed (2nd&4th), Thu 9:00 - 16:30 (closed 12:00 - 13:00)
  • *English interpretation is possible. However, there may be days when no interpretation service is available, please call to confirm before you visit.
  • *Consultations in Japanese is available on Monday through Friday at the General Labor Consultation Counter on the 1F of the Kyoto Labor Bureau.

② Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare’s Telephone Consultation Service for Foreign Workers

This is a call center set up by the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare for problems concerning working conditions. The services include explanations of laws and ordinances and providing introductions to relevant organizations and associations.

Language Days Time Telephone
English Mon. - Fri. 10:00 - 15:00 (closed 12:00 - 13:00) 0570-001701
Chinese 0570-001702
Portuguese 0570-001703
Spanish 0570-001704
Tagalog Tue. - Fri. 0570-001705
Vietnamese Mon. - Fri. 0570-001706
Burmese Mon./ Wed. 0570-001707
Nepali Tue./ Thu. 0570-001708

*Closed on National Holidays and Dec. 29 - Jan. 3

Part-time Employment

The Labor Standards Law also applies to part-time employment. If you have any questions, please consult “Foreign Workers Consultation Service” and/or “the Telephone Consultation Service for Foreign Workers”.

Employment Contracts

An employment contract is an agreement between an employee and employer designating working condition in return for wages. When an employment contract is signed, the employer must give employees a written contract which describes wages, working hours and other working conditions. If only an oral agreement is made on wages, working condition, etc. the employee cannot present any evidence in case of any violation or dispute. In order to prevent any problems, if the contract is written in Japanese, the employee should have it translated into their native language.

Items that must be included in an employment contract

  • (1) Length of the employment contract
  • (2) Criteria for renewal of fixed-term labor contracts (if contract renewal is possible and if possible the contract should state the evaluation criteria for renewal)
  • (3) Place of work, details of work and working conditions
  • (4) Working hours, including starting time and finishing time, overtime work, breaks, paid leave, holidays, etc.
  • (5) Wage, how wages are calculated, method of payment, date of payment, and promotions (possibile even if not in writing)
  • (6) Retirement and Dismissal (including reasons for dismissal)

If a company has its working rules and terms (shugyo kisoku) in writing, ask the company to show them to you and read them carefully.