Jang Bong Joon Scholarship
This scholarship is aimed to support the daily lives of foreign students from Asian countries/regions (Table 1), who pay their own expenses, with their daily expenses and deliver the management gains of the scholarship fund established by an offer from the late Mr. Jang Bong Joon. Students who receive this scholarship are requested to participate in projects conducted by the Kyoto City International Foundation (hereafter the Foundation) and contribute to the promotion of Kyoto City’s international activities.
Students Eligible for this Scholarship
Students from Asian countries/regions* who pay their own expenses.
*People from Asian countries/regions means those from the Continent of Asia categorized in the Kyoto Region Foreign Student Exchange Promotion Association in a conventional manner.
- ・Hong Kong
- ・Republic of Korea
- ・Sri Lanka
Eligibility to Applying for the Scholarship
Applicant must satisfy all of the following conditions:
- （1） Students with nationalities other than Japanese who are staying in Japan with the resident status of, “College Student”.
- （2） Students enrolled in a school as a regular student. Credited auditors and researchers are not eligible.
- （3） Students who are willing to study and need financial support.
- （4） Students whose academic performance and personal demeanor are both excellent.
- （5） Students who are on the rolls of Foundation designated universities*
- （6） Students who are in the second year or higher of their school course at the time of application (including graduate students).
- （7） Students who do not receive any other scholarships.
*The Foundation designated universities include the following schools in Kyoto City (campus locations aren’t limited to Kyoto City).
- Kyoto University
- Kyoto Seika University
- Ryukoku University
- Kyoto University of Education
- Kyoto University of Art and Design
- Kyoto Notre Dame University
- Kyoto Institute of Technology
- Kyoto Tachibana University
- Kyoto Koka Women’s University
- Kyoto City University of Arts
- Kyoto Pharmaceutical University
- Kyoto Saga University of Arts
- Kyoto Prefectural University
- Doshisha University
- Heian Jogakuin (St. Agnes’) University
- Kyoto Prefectural University of Medicine
- Doshisha Women’s College of Liberal Arts
- Kyoto Kacho University
- Otani University
- Hanazono University
- The Kyoto College of Graduate Studies for Informatics
- Kyoto University of Foreign Studies
- Shuchiin University
- SOKENDAI, the Graduate University for Advanced Studies
- Kyoto Sangyo University
- Bukkyo University
- Kyoto University of Advanced Science (Kyoto Gakuen University until March 2019)
- Kyoto Women’s University
- Ritsumeikan University
Scholarship Amount and Granted Period
50,000 yen per month per person. Limited to 1 year.
Application Procedure and Schedule of Selection
|Announcement that applications are being taken
The Foundation sends application forms to Foundation designated universities
|End of the application period
Foundation designated universities determine the students recommended by each university (1 person or so) and send documents to the Foundation.
The Foundation conducts paper screening and sends out the results of all applicants to each university in written form at least 2 weeks before the interview date.
|Determination of scholarship recipients (Notification of the interview results)
TThe Foundation will notify the each university in written form the results of all students interviewed. The person in charge at the Foundation may contact scholarship recipients as necessary.
|Paying out the scholarship
The Foundation initially pays the four months amount accrued from April. After the initial payment, future payments will be made monthly.
Scholarship recipients submit reports about their achievements during the year. Payment of scholarship for the last month will be made after receipt of the report.
- （1） Kyoto City International Foundation Jang Bong Joon Scholarship Grant Project Application Form
- （2） One recommendation letter from the applicant’s academic advisor/supervisor (The relationship between the recommender and the student must be clearly stated. Requires the recommender’s seal (stamp) or signature)
- （3） A short essay of approximately 800 characters.（Language: Japanese)
Foundation commissions the selection committee members from administrative agencies, media organization, and so on.
Termination of Scholarship
When a scholarship recipient meets one or more of the following conditions, scholarship payments will be terminated.
- （1） There are fallacious matters in the submitted documents
- （2） Residence status changes (College Student → Other resident status)
- （3） Scholarship recipient takes a leave of absence, withdraw, or voluntarily drop out from school
- （4） The scholarship recipient is suspended, expelled, or receives punishment from their university
- （5） The scholarship recipient declines to receive the payment from this project (including completion of payment)
- （6） Inappropriate information about the recipient are disclosed
Obligation of Scholarship Recipients
Scholarship recipients are subject to report their achievement for the year at the end of the scholarship payment period (see the above schedule). Scholarship recipients are expected to cooperate with the Foundation’s projects (interpreting, translation, providing suggestions about Foundation projects, etc. once a month or so) as best they can.